ART: After a BFA, Then What?

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 31-MAY-1993
08:33:27.71
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: advice for brand-new BFA

Date: Mon, 31 May 1993 08:30:08 -0400
From: Babs Brady <[email protected]>
Subject: advice for brand-new BFA
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Charles Bandes writes for advice from "professionals" regarding where to
go from here with a brand-new BFA...

First off, Charles, your request for advice is refreshing.
It's great to have some "practical" dialogue initiated amidst
compelling intellectual discussions.
Anyway, I work for the Weatherspoon Art Gallery, which is part of the
University of North Carolina at Greensboro. "UNCG" has a strong, and
noted, MFA program, and I was just wondering if you had ruled out
going on for your MFA somewhere?
Since you mentioned that you feel your work might need a little more
development, perhaps an MFA would allow such concentrated work.

I organize the student exhibitions for both BFA, and MFA. The art
department has there student shows here in the Weatherspoon. On a number
of occasions now I have seen students come out of their BFA and go on to
pursue their MFA, and it's certainly an opportunity to see how their
work *has* developed.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you have not yet ruled out grad school,
and want some more time honing your work, maybe consider an MFA
and *that* may in itself answer some of your many questions.

My two cents,

Babs Brady
Weatherspoon Art Gallery
UNC Greensboro