Re: Underground Architecture

- - The original note follows - -

From: kiml@xxxxxx (Kim B. Larsen)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: Underground Architecture
Date: 29 May 93 11:20:33 GMT

In article <1993May27.213049.9777@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, weaver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Michael Weaver) writes:

|> I have been attempting to dig up everything I can find on Underground
|> Architecture and associated stuff. Projects ongoing? Is the underground
|> space center still in existence at Univ. of Minn (?).

I would think so, but I have no hard facts...

|> Does anyone have any more recent pointers than the early 80's.
|>
|> Everything I can find is very old. Is there any work going on currently?
|> It seems this would be popular due to the energy savings, etc, but nothing
|> recently.

The best place to go for info is probably the AUA - The American
Underground-Space Association. I have no address or phonenumber for AUA but they
are a supporting organization of the IDEEA USA.

Also I know that the Japanese are heavily into underground housing, but I have
no references here either.

For the 1994 Winter Olympics here in Norway a huge indoor scating arena has been
blasted into a mountain - it is pretty impressive.

-

IDEEA USA - International Design for Extreme Environments Association of the
United States of America. They are a nonprofit organization working on topics
like design for deserts, disaster sites, earth future, mines/tunnels, mountains,
oceans, polar regions and space.

The Second International Design for Extreme Environments Assembly (IDEEA TWO) is
coming up on October 24-27 in Montreal - this will be an excellent opportunity
for people interested in the mentioned topics to get in contact and exchange
knowledge.

You can reach IDEEA at IDEEA USA Office, College of Architecture, University of
Houston, Houston, Texas, Texas 77204-4435. Telephone (713) 743-2350, Fax (713)
743-2358. Individual membership dues are $45 per year ($15 for students).
Corporate memberships are $500 per year.
Sorry, I have no email address...

You will receive a Newsletter every now and then along with info on happenings
like the IDEEA TWO conference.

Please keep me posted on any info you find on underground architecture :-)

Kim
civ.arch. Kim Baumann Larsen email: kiml@xxxxxx
computing consultant kimbl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
The Oslo School of Architecture, Norway