NEXT

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 11-JUN-1993
10:41:58.06
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: Addr: Why make things?

Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1993 09:31:12 EDT
From: AJENDRZE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Addr: Why make things?
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

things, I would like to explore several directions: First I would like
to preface this by saying that by making "things" I do not mean object
oriented works, necessarily; I mean, simply to be "creative" which
can take us into any field, but I will apply it to making various
kinds of fine art.

I have been exploring various concepts about how the brain works. To
the disgust of many on the list, possibly, the creative urge can probably
be explained very simply from a physiological point of view. Without
claiming too much accuray or being too specific, the hypothalamus
and the pituitary gland control various cycles of the body through secretions
of specific chemicals. A specific chemical(s?) creates the urge to create.
An interesting fact related to this is that creativity can be hindered or
augmented by other cycles of the brain and body. In fact there are probably
a myriad of relationships between the creative process with in our mind
and other mental and bodily processes. For instance, the creative process
is greatly augmented by either a mild depressive or mild manic state of
mind.

I suspect that much of our individuality, depends on how all these
processes and chemicals balance each other out. Furthermore, this
all depends on the experiences of each individual and the associations,
and connections (through learning) that structure how one reacts to
continuing stimuli and our own mental processes, even.

It's fascinating how this physiological/neurological, chemical/electrical
process is "experienced" by us as reality with the additional layering of
a psychological structure.

Two points I would like to make:

First, to question why we make, questions also what engine makes us go in the
first place. There is little wonder, that some of us attribute attribute
this source to the idea of a spirit.

Second, the artist must create! It is part of an artist's nature. When the
artist doesn't, the artist is not well, possibly even broken.

Diversion:
Finally, I would like to end with a request: I teach at a Junior College
that professes to be a teaching institution, not a research. I am
trying, unsuccessfully to lower the art teaching load, to allow for research
time. We teach 21-24 contact hours. Indiana University teaches 6 - 15
contact hours.

What COMPELLING arguments can the group provide in favor of reducing the
teaching load.

Andy
AJENDRZE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx