CALL FOR PAPERS: The Centenial Review.

- - The original note follows - -

From: Carl Loeffler <cel+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: alt.artcom
Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1993 11:10:03 -0400

Please post the following in _Art Com_:

CALL FOR PAPERS

_THE CENTENNIAL REVIEW_

_The Centennial Review_ announces an issue on Computers,
Knowledge, and the Disciplines.

We are seeking analytical, historical, and critical papers on various
aspects of the ways the transmission, control, and evolution of
knowledge have been affected by the new information and
communication technologies. How has the development of
knowledge and research in the social sciences, humanities and the
natural sciences been transformed? How have theoretical ideas and
research strategies been modified? What have been the effects on
ways research is communicated, judged, and used? What has been
the impact on the ownership and distribution of scholarly
information? To what extent have traditional modes of
communication become privatized? How have the roles of research
libraries and other purveyors of information changed? We are also
interested in discussions of the evolution, implications, and lacunae
in the vocabulary of the electronic age: what do "information,"
"document," "communication," "data," and, indeed, "knowledge"
mean in the present context? We encourage epistemological as
well as anthropological, sociological, and literary discussions.

The journal intends to devote an issue to these topics and to
pursue these themes as an ongoing concern. While descriptive,
historical, and critical discus-sions of specific technologies are
welcome, work must take into account the interests of a general
intellectual audience and avoid specialized vocabulary.

Inquiries and proposals by August 1, 1993 to:

Richard Peterson, Acting Editor
_The Centennial Review_
312 Linton Hall
Michigan State University