ART: Telephone Art Installation. Brighton, England. Invitation. More...

From: IN%"artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 6-JUL-1993 13:29:50.43
To: IN%"artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
CC:
Subj: Babble - A telephone art installation

Date: Tue, 06 Jul 93 13:23:20 -0400
From: stevens@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Babble - A telephone art installation
Sender: artnet-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
I have a couple of comments about Babble. I am interesting in
new forms of art involving technology. As a result, I want to laud your
attempt; however, I strongly object to the result. My reasons are
personal. I have a hearing impairment. The form of noise generated by
babble is *PAINFUL* to me. It could be liken to walking on an
electronic grid where everytime you step you get shocked and if you
stand still the voltage increases. I work in the computer industry and
have to put up with headaches caused by the noised generated by the
fans of the computers. I continue this line of work in spite of the
headaches, but I make every effort to lessen the noise. Thus, unless
'Babble' is in a well sounded proof room, you are going to try away a
segment of the audience from the art exhibit. My sensitivity to
ambient noise is not unique, it is a common problem for people with
hearing aids. It is also occurs among the general populace. People
like myself have a tendency to be less social (crowds are painful) and
as a result often become 'techno-freaks'. Thus, you are likely to
drive away a larger percentage of the people who are interested in
techno artforms. Continue your attempts, but please, oh please, take
into account people like myself and provide sound proofing. Art should
bring joy not pain and a techo artform should take advantage of
technology, not only to bring pleasure, but to prevent pain.

Sincerely,
Mike Stevens