GENERAL: Color Matching for FLLW Bldg. Query.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 7-JUL-1993
22:47:37.24
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: tangent-- request for color table info

Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 21:37:39 CDT
From: Herb Goodman <hgoodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: tangent-- request for color table info
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have a question that has nothing to do with art, design, art
education, or art criticism. If you find a totally out context question
offensive please push your delete message button NOW!

now! to the two or three that are still reading.....

I am a bit at wits end and am asking folks on discussion groups
that may know, or know someone who has a deeper understanding
of cross-platformed color tables than I do.... This wont take much....
I have already posted to most of the image and DTP lists and am
a bit unsatisfied with the responses.

I am working with a design team that is digitally building one of F.L.
Wrights hotels which was never actually constructed (the depression
killed its funding source). The 3-d modeling is being done on an
Intergraph system. We are currently trying to match the building material
colors (block, mortar, etc.) I have managed to create the palette of colors
in Photoshop (on a Mac) and have a file of these color swatches.

Problem. The UNIX unit will only mix colors based on a percentage
from 1 to 100 in RGB (such as 12 red, 67 green, 0 blue) Photoshop
doesn't seem to give this information. The RGB numbers in Photoshop
appear to be based on 256 instead of 100. I tried a bit of division
and plugged in the base 100 numbers that were converted from the
base 256 numbers -- we got a color that was WAY off! I also tried t
taking the PMS color equivalent offered by Photoshop into Freehand-
calling up that color and converting it (as a spot color) into RGB (FH
gives a base 100 percentage RGB) - getting those percentages and plugging
them into the Intergraph- the color was closer but really dark.
what gives? Isn't there a universal color table conversion that I can use
or am I simply SOL? I hate to be reduced to holding colorswatches next
to our monitor and getting an approximation after all of this effort.

Suggestion anyone?
please answer directly so we wont clog up the artcrit lines

Herb Goodman
hgoodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry for the out of context post but I am getting desperate.