Date: Fri, 9 Jul 93 14:07 EDT
From: "Computer Accounts 814-865-4772" <ACCOUNTS@PSUVM>
Sender: <JLH@PSUVM>
Subject: Letter/Mail Bob Alert
To: HRL@PSUVM

Important information release follows:

From: Ronald L. Schreffler, Investigator/Bomb Technician, Police Services

Three envelopes containing explosive devices were delivered to
Scientific Researchers, one to the University of California at San
Francisco, a second to Yale University and another to Yale-New Haven
Medical Center. Injuries were incurred by two victims.

The packages consisted of padded manilla envelopes approximately 8 1/2
inches by 11 inches. One of the devices was sent to a home address and the
others to institutional addresses.

Letter and Package Bomb Indicators:

Restrictive markings (personal) (confidential)
Excessive postage
No return address
Misspelled words
Addressed to "Title only"
Badly typed or written
Rigid or bulky
Lopsided
Strong odor
Oily stains on wrapping

If you are suspicious of a mailing and are unable to verify the contents
with the addressee or sender:

1. Do not open the article
2. Isolate the mailing and evacuate the immediate area
3. Do not put in a confined space such as a filing cabinet or
desk drawer
4. If possible open windows in the immediate area
5. If you have reason to believe a letter or parcel is
suspicious, Do not take a chance or worry about possible
embarrassment if the items turn out to be innocent.

Contact police - University Park 911 or 863-1111

Any department needing a class on identifying suspicious packages can
contact Investigator Ronald L. Schreffler at 863-1111.