THE "WHAT/WHERE/WHY/HOW" FOR PICTURES

...and here is more about how to get those (graphics)...Howard

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups:
alt.binaries.pictures.d,alt.binaries.pictures.misc,alt.binaries.pictures.utiliti
es
From: deej@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jim Howard)
Subject: THE "WHAT/WHERE/WHY/HOW" FOR PICTURES
Sender: usenet@xxxxxxxxxxx (Usenet News)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1993 08:18:49 GMT
alt.binaries.pictures.misc:6513 alt.binaries.pictures.utilities:1974

Have you ever wondered any of the following??
a) what do all these funny characters mean??,
b) how do I download and view pictures?,
c) just what is a GIF/JPEG/xxx anyway?,
d) how do I post and request pictures?,
e) how do I convert from picture type X to type Y?,
f) where can I get software to make posting/unposting easier?,
g) is there a program to do <whatever> on my <machine_type>?

If so, you'll probably be very happy to know that HELP IS AVAILABLE!
For the most comprehensive source of answers to all of the above *AND
MORE!*, don't miss the dynamic, informative, and sometimes humorous
"alt.binaries.pictures FAQ", coming soon to a pictures newsgroup near you!
Continuous sneak previews also available in the news.answers newsgroup,
for a modest fee (the effort of looking there!)...

The FAQ is comprised of three parts: the first dealing with "etiquette"
issues, the second covers "general" questions (like questions "a" through "d",
above), and the third getting into the nitty-gritty details of the (possibly
operating-system dependent) tools you'll probably want to get to help you out
(questions "e" through "g", above).

You can also access the FAQ parts via anonymous FTP, through UUCP, or
through e-mail by using the services available from a couple of mail servers.
For anonymous FTP access, you can look on either rtfm.mit.edu [18.70.0.224]
in the directory /pub/usenet/news.answers/pictures-faq for files "part1.Z",
"part2.Z", or "part3.Z", on ftp.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.17] in directory
/pub/NEWS.ANSWERS/pictures-faq for files "part1", "part2" or "part3", or
on ftp.uu.net [137.39.1.2, 137.39.1.9 or 192.48.96.2] in directory
/usenet/news.answers/pictures-faq for files "part1.Z", "part2.Z", or "part3.Z".
You can get the FAQ via UUCP by retrieving the appropriate part
from "uunet!/archive/usenet/news.answers/pictures-faq/part1",
"uunet!/archive/usenet/news.answers/pictures-faq/part2", or
"uunet!/archive/usenet/news.answers/pictures-faq/part3".
For e-mail access, send a message to mail-server@xxxxxxxxxxxx with the
mail body "send usenet/news.answers/pictures-faq/part1" to get the first
part, "send usenet/news.answers/pictures-faq/part2" for the second, and
"send usenet/news.answers/pictures-faq/part3" for the third, or e-mail
to mail-server@xxxxxxxxx with "send NEWS.ANSWERS/pictures-faq/part1",
"send NEWS.ANSWERS/pictures-faq/part2", and/or
"send NEWS.ANSWERS/pictures-faq/part3" in the body of the message.
Don't settle for anything less than the best!

(DIS)CLAIMER:
Well yeah, I do maintain it, but other than that, I have no connection
whatever with or interest in the "alt.binaries.pictures FAQ"!

~ deej ~ | (If I were expressing Cadence's opinions, )
Jim Howard -- deej@xxxxxxxxxxx | (they'd probably make me wear a tie... )
(^:= Flames cheerfully ignored. =:^)
" I have a hobby...I have the world's largest collection of sea shells.
I keep it scattered on beaches all over the world. Maybe you've seen some
of it..." -- Steven Wright