A Timeless Way : Christopher Alexander

- - The original note follows - -

From: mitra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Shyamal Mitra)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture,misc.consumers.house
Subject: A Timeless Way : Christopher Alexander
Date: 2 Aug 1993 10:17:07 -0500

I have just finished Christopher Alexander's "A Timeless Way of
Building" and its companion book "A Pattern Language". The two books
made fascinating reading. This was my first foray into architectural
design. There was much in the books that I could accept or relate to.
And there were several contentions that I strongly disagreed with.

I am wondering how much influence Alexander has had on modern
architectural design. He talks about his work in Peru and Oregon.
Is there a critique of his designs? It seems to me it would be
impossible to get a bank loan or pass house inspection if one were
to build according to his precepts.

Since I am not a student of architecture it would be refreshing to
get another perspective on architectural design. What are other
landmark books in this field?

Shyamal Mitra