Planning and Design Query.

From: IN%"H-URBAN%UICVM.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" "H-URBAN Urban History discussion
list" 3-AUG-1993 10:44:44.30
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: History on urban campus planning

Date: Tue, 3 Aug 93 09:54:01 EDT
From: Eric Weiss-Altaner <R22104%UQAM.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: History on urban campus planning
Sender: Urban Planning Discussion List <URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Comments: Resent-From: Eric Weiss-Altaner <R22104@UQAM>
Comments: Originally-From: "Mathieu-David Cloutier" <r32154@xxxxxxxxxx>
Comments: cc: "M-D. Cloutier" <r32154@xxxxxxxxxx>

(Forwarded to URBAN-L at the request of the original sender.)

OBJECT: Urban University Campus Planning and Design

From: Campus Planning Committee of University of Quebec in Montreal
(CPC-UQAM)
R32154@xxxxxxxxxx

Greetings from Montreal, Canada,

I am working for the Campus Planning Committee of the University of Quebec
in Montreal. This institution has experienced a fast expansion since its
foundation in 1968, and presently has over forty thousand students.
Located in the inner city of Montreal, this young university poses, by
it's continuing growth, many planning problems and challenges. Hence, the
neighbourhood in which the university is implanted, is characterized by a
certain level of degradation. The social fabric, the structure of the
commercial streets and the general state of buildings are all deteriorated
at a certain extent. We believe that the university must help make it's
environment better, not worse. It must act as a structuring agent on the
neighbourhood, without smothering it.

Therefore, we are looking for documentation on the urban campus planning
and design. More, specifically, we are interested in the impacts these
planning and design methods may have on the immediate urban environment of
an institution. We would like to know if any papers or reports on
experiments of this nature are available.

The committee has contacted many universities in hopes of constituting a
data bank on urban campus planning. Therefore, if you have any questions
regarding our case study we will be glad to answer you.

Thanking you in advance, yours sincerely.

Pascal Lombart
for the Campus Planning Committee:

Campus Planning Committee
Department of Urban Studies