Re: "walk-through" programs/use

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
From: gibsonf1@xxxxxxxxxx (Frederick Clifford Gibson)
Subject: Re: "walk-through" programs/use
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1993 07:01:58 GMT

Carol Lee Cobb (carol@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
: In your opinion, what is the best "walk-through" program? This would be a
: program that enables someone to walk through a building/city/etc.. via
: computer graphics.

: Did you see the fly-by of Chicago? Some company modeled (computer graphics)
: all of the major buildings of Chicago, and then flew around among the
buildings.
: Do you know who created the program that was used to do this, and do you know
: who did the modeling?

: Which architecture firms are the most outspoken advocates of using high-end
: computer graphics?

: Which colleges are the most aggressive in using computer graphics within the
: architecture curriculum?

: Thanks...

: Carol@xxxxxxxxxx

For use by Architectural Profesionals, I think the combination of AutoCad,
3dStudio and Photoshop provide the best bang for the time/money buck.

I work here in San Francisco at Kaplan McLauglin Diaz Architects (The largest
firm in S.F.) Right now I am developing an object oriented designer interface
for autocad which integrates the capabilities of the above mentioned programs.
We have been using 3dStudio VERY sucessfully as a design and presentation
tool. Renderings and animations with 3DS can be, as Michael Sechman sometimes
says, "better than the real thing". (or U2?)

In any case, if you or anyone who is interested happens to find themselves
in San Francisco, let me know an I will try to arrange a tour of what
we are currently up to. (We have recently produced some very nice digital
work)

Fred Gibson
Designer, Kaplan McLaughlin Diaz Architects, San Francisco Office

gibsonf1@xxxxxxxxxx

Also, I have digital images in the form of tga/jpeg files that can
be ftp'd over internet. Perhaps a good idea would be to set up a
digital design gallery through this news group?