My Mail Concerning MUDS...

I share this information with design-l now... Howard

- - The original note follows - -

To: HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: AXEL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Axel Roselius)
Subject: your mail concerning MUDS
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1993 14:19:56 +0200

Thank you for your response and the information about
habitat and MUD^s.
I am really sorry, that you get this answer only now, but we changed
our MailBox System and so we had some serious problems
with in and outgoing mails. Many mails were lost.
Now, I hope we got it.
We are really happy, that there are
so many people interessted in MUD^s. For the moment we are
in the period of conceptual planing. But when we are
going more into details, it would be a great pleasure
for us, if you would join some ideas,... . For the moment
I will join some informations about the work we are doing.
Thanks again and if you want to know more about our
work don^t hesitate to mail me.
regards

Axel

Van Gogh TV and the Ponton European Media Art Lab

Ponton was founded in 1986. In1989 it was established as
a stablely located laboratory, planning, production and
transmission center. The unique combination of artists, technicians
and inventors build the team of Ponton, who work together with
each other on the artistic research of the visualisation of networks
and the development of mass media inovations and telecommunication
technology.

Van Gogh TV Piazza Virtuale Interactive Television.
The Van Gogh TV media group presented at the largest exposition
of modern art, Documenta IX in 1992, the first live interactive
television program that is completely based upon the acivities
of the viewers. Direct involvement in the program from their homes,
via telephone.
The television screen is the user-interface.
The viewers participate in an on-going work of art.

How does it work?
The Ponton European Media Art Lab has developed a new
computer-controlled television interface in which text,
still-images, video, computer animation, sound and music
can simultaneously appear and in which on can connect directly
from home. The expressions of the audience are transmitted
instantly: the flow of communication.
As soon as visitors step into the exhibition, they enter
the electronic media and become an interactive part of the
broadcasted image.

How does one enter the Piazza Virtuale?
The easiest method is simply to dial in with the telephone.
In some program blocks, for example in the Coffeehouse or
during the Piazzetta shows, there is the possibility to join
the program and to converse along with other "voicers",
modem-users or participants from public-entry terminals.
If the viewer has a computer modem, he can send texts live
onto the television screen. Likewise, with a fax machine.
The most variations and applications are available with a
simple telephone-set, insofar as that the telephone has a
touchtone-dialing system. Using the keys the viewers can
play different intruments in the "Interactive Orchestra" or test
their talents in digital painting in the "Virtual Atelier".
Via picture-phone as well, one can enter directly into the Piazza
Virtuale: both black & white/still-image phones and the newer
ISDN phones which allow up to 20 colour images per second and
the simultaneous sending and reception of images.

Durring the Documenta 1992,
Piazza Virtuale was on the air daily for a hundred days, live via 3sat,
the Olympus-Satellite and FAB Berlin.
Tens of thousands participated live: They chatted, wrote, painted,
made music, contacts and threaded together a self-generating work
of art.
Live connections from and to 27 different cities; including Moscow,
Nagoja, Belgrade, Paris, Riga, Milano, Berlin...and many others,
made a world wide, live and online dialoge possible.

Van Gogh TV and the Ponton European Media Art Lab are privat
non-profit organizations, which are supported by
culture / research ministries and different industries.

24 hours PONTON Chatbox: +49-40-2800080
from the Chatbox you can connect yourself to different services!

Until the middle of september these services are reduct, because
we are broadcasting in Japan and there is only a minimale configuration
running in Hamburg.

--
Axel Roselius VAN GOGH TV
PONTON European Media Art Lab Piazza virtuale