IBC Project, Rokko Island - Kobe, Japan

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
From: gibsonf1@xxxxxxxxxx (Frederick Clifford Gibson)
Subject: IBC Project, Rokko Island - Kobe, Japan
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1993 07:22:31 GMT

Based on "popular demand" (the following letter from Mark) I will post the
text which accompanied the I.B.C. presentation booklet.

The International Business Center Competition was for phase IV of the
artificial Rokko Island in Kobe, Japan. (Funded by the City of Kobe)

Mark DesMarais <markd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Technical stuff first- I only have 8 bit sparc station graphics,
> so I had to convert your tgas to gifs. I can tell I lost some
> stuff, but most of it seems to be on the background.
>
> This is really an awesome looking complex. I assume that this
> design didn't win? (otherwise I'm sure you would have let us
> know ;-) How detailed was it? Or was it just at the concept
> stage?

Yes, I didn't win. In typical Japanese fashion, the winner, to my dismay at
the time, was pre-selected.

> I'm assuming that the front is the area embraced by the outboard
> towers- is that right?

On this project, there in no traditional front or "facade". The building is a
form in space with multiple approaches. Pedestrian access is from the
Rokko-liner (the island's mono-rail mass transit) to the atrium level. There is
vehicular access to the north at grade level, and there is also a more dynamic
vehicular entry via ramps between the structural piers to the +11m atrium
entrance.

> I'd love to hear anything you have to say about the project-
> requirements, budgets, who eventually won and why, etc. I am yet
> another of those computer people who would like (or think they
> might like) to be an architect. Although I'm not really sure
> this is the kind of scale I would want to work on.
>

> Thanks for sharing the images!
>
> Markd

The images are available via anonymous FTP at nic.funet.fi in the
/pub/graphics/misc/IProject directory in the form of GNU zipped tga files.
(the gibsonXX series of files)

Rokko Island Phases I through III are already complete and functioning,
including
the "driver-less" Rokko-liner mono-rail system. Proctor & Gamble has their
imitation Foster World Headquarters in the middle of the island. (Opened 9-92)

The design of the project spanned a period of 1.5 months (During the Russian
Coup). I used a 486/33 with AutoCAD r.11 to create the model (I wrote several
lisp programs to help generate the form). Then, I used RenderMAN to create
the final images. (It was essentially a solo design effort with architectural
programming input from the Jun Maeda, CEO of Planners Intl. (my employer at
the time) Also, this model represented my first attempt at creating a "virtual"
design model, where plans/sections are no longer drawn as independent
exercises, and instead are generated by "slicing" through the model. (this
was achieved with the help of AutoCAD's clipping planes in the DVIEW interface)

DYNAMIC - POWERFUL - INNOVATIVE

The qualities of successful business; the theme of the International Business
Center on Rokko
Island in Kobe.

THE INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS CENTER

PURPOSE

To create an integrated, successful,
international business environment; to
forge a new focus of global business in
the profitable Kansai area.

METHOD

Integration of all the elements required
not only for doing business in Japan, but
for doing business on an international
scale.

ELEMENTS

Three office buildings, fused together by
bridges, ascend in three stages from the
World Diplomacy Building in the South, to
a higher business building in the
Northwest, and finally to the tallest
business building in the Northeast which
terminates at the 48th floor in a
revolving international restaurant.
These three buildings, the parking garage
to the south, and the RIC River Mall to
the west create a great exterior space -
the World Plaza. This exterior space
rises from the basement level
International Lunch Area (-5.5m), to the
pedestrian entry level (+0m), to the Main
Entry Level (+11m), and finally climaxes
within the triangular Atrium/Display
space. This large interior space,
providing commercial/retail space on the
First (+0m) and Second (+5.5m) levels,
with spacious Conference facilities on
the Third (+11m) Fourth (+16.5m) and Fifth
(+22.5m) levels, serves as the central
focus and main circulation node of the
International Business Center (IBC). It
is here that governments and businesses
will display their products and services
side by side, and it is here that one
will experience and enjoy the true
international spirit of the IBC: Global
cooperation and achievement - the promise
of the Twenty-first Century.

* Office Tower Design

The form of the office towers evolved
from the unique requirements of the
Business Support System (BSS). All the
common functions including meeting rooms,
lounge, front desk with office equipment,
bathrooms and elevator lobby are located
within the central triangular form of the
building. Revolving around this central
core, three office wings create spacious
offices, each with perimeter glazing for
natural daylighting and vistas of either
sea, Rokko Island City, Rokko mountain,
or Kobe city.

APPROACH

VEHICULAR-FORMAL

The formal vehicular entry begins on a
curving rising ramp from the Northwest,
and terminates at the Main Entry Terrace
(+11m). Here, one can enter the
Atrium/Display space, and proceed either
to the main conference area or continue
to any of the three elevator lobbies at
the Main Entry Level (+11m).

(c)1992 Planners International, Kobe Japan (Written by FCG)

Fred Gibson

Designer, Kaplan McLaughlin Diaz Architects, San Francisco
gibsonf1@xxxxxxxxxx