ART: Practicing Arts Program, CAL, Berkeley.

Ihave a recent letter from the head of the department for the practicing
arts program at Berkeley. I have been asked to consider forming an alumni
group (in Pennsylvania). There is now an effort to attract alumni from the
program throughout the world. This effort is directed to raising funds for
the program from alumni.

I see no problem with the aproach. Although it seems to be rather common
within the academic environment to make such a request. There may be
another way to approach support of the arts program.

What I would suggest are polycentered programs related to the arts
practice throughout the world by former alumni with some centralized
monitoring by the department at Berkeley. This would provide for more
diverse viewpoints and approached to practicing arts by practicing
artists. Funds could be raised in this manner. That is, some of the
fees for instruction could be forwarded to the Berkeley center for its
administration of the program. This would provide more autonomy for
those individual artists practicing in the arts.

I would like some reflection and discussion of this idea from the
persons on the list. I would, also, like to have permission from
respondents to forward the discussions to the head of practicing arts
at Berkeley.

Thanks.
Howard

BARCH [62]