GENERAL: Passion for Your Work. Is It Enough?

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
From: gibsonf1@xxxxxxxxxx (Frederick Clifford Gibson)
Subject: Re: Career change: computers -> architecture?
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1993 17:28:08 GMT

Paul Noll (noll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
: [email protected] wrote:
: : In article <13277@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, egb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
: : (Evan G. Bullock-Morales) says:
: : >
: : >I too have thought of making the move to architecture. I've wanted to be
: : >an architect since high school (long ago). But back then I was told not
: : >to do it because I would not be able to make a living. Maybe so, but after
: : >several years in the computer field I can say that I have a job, but no
: : >real passion for it.

: : That's the thing. I know computers very well. I have been working with
: : for seven years. But I have no passion for it. It is a tool that I
: : use. But it is the ability to shape and design space that gives me
: : the high.
: : -------
: : JONATHAN THAM
: : BITNET: [email protected]
: : INTERNET: JOTCC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

: I am the person who originally posted this note. My advice (for what
: it's worth) is do something you feel a passion for ... if you love
: working with computers, then go into the computer field ... if you feel
: a passion for architecture ... go into architecture.

: I've been out of college for over fifteen years. In my college years I
: was focused on choosing a career that would pay good money and give me
: job security. My original choice at that time was targeted towards a
: degree in some engineering field, but after a time I became more
: interested in Anthropology and primate behavior so I ended up with a
: degree in Anthropology and worked doing behavioral research (and
: computer programming) when I first left college. Having some training
: in computer science gave me an edge in my first job.

: From this job I migrated to a full time computer job and eventually
: ~v
: became a system manager for a number of different systems. I did this
: for the money and for a change. Looking back ... I learned a lot, but
: it was not a good fit.

: I continued on after 4 years to a job with Digital Equipment Corp. for
: 8.5 years at which time I was caught by DEC's downsizing efforts.

: The bottom line through all this is, up to now my career decisions were
: heavily influenced by my desire to make a good living and have money.

: I was good at what I did, but I'm running out of fuel for this type of
: job. At the age of 38, I'm finally finding out "who I am" instead of
: "who I'm supposed to be".

: My advice is, do something you feel a passion for. If you love doing
: something, you will likely have a boundless supply of energy to do the
: job and the love you have for your work will undoubtedly make you stand
: out in your field.

: As an example, many unsuccessful photographers will tell you that you
: can't make a living at photography ... yet there are very successful
: people out there making a living at photography. What's the difference?
: I think it is the passion they feel for their work.

: Well enough of these ravings ... I'm eligible for midlife renewal
: (a.k.a. crisis) about now, so take this advice for what it's worth.

: Thanks,
: Paul

: A

I have always loved building, and so I decided very early on to become
an Architect. For me, Architecture is very fulfilling and exciting, and
recently, is becoming very financially rewarding. As Paul mentioned,
those who have ability AND a passion for their work tend to succeed both
spiritually and financially.

Fred Gibson

Designer, Kaplan McLaughlin Diaz Architects, San Francisco
gibsonf1@xxxxxxxxxx