Therapy for perfeshinal's advice (see T.Sandrock's news)

- - The original note follows - -

From: vmchang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Veda Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Therapy for perfeshinal's advice (see T.Sandrock's news)
Date: 29 Aug 1993 01:32:08 +1000

I only wish I had accessed "Internet" a year ago when I was looking
for an architect! All the things I've read.... eg. re. architects
willing to design luxury houses for food, architects willing to
sell souls for work etc....Gosh I could have got my renovations
done so much more economically :-)

Actually, all those sad stories finally got to me and have inspired
me to show some support and empathy (I work in the med psych
field!!) . From my paranoid perspective, I think that Todd Sandrock's
perception that the public view architects as "impractical, elitist,
and arrogant" is incorrect....Sounded more like the public's
perception of doctors!

The public are aware that times are hard for architects.
And there may be advantages to your profession in them holding
this view. eg. Lawyers not pursuing you quite as vigorously, and clients
not being quite as litigious....(ie. if you have any clients :-)....

Most people mistakenly believe that the concept of a struggling
doctor is purely fictional but believe me, no-one is exempt from the
effects of the world-wide recession. Colleagues of mine had to go on
unemployment benefits last year because the government ran out
of money to pay them for the work they were doing at a local
community health centre.

I can't concur with Mr. Sandrock's view that the public don't
appreciate the work of architects. Since I started collaborating
with my architect I.R. on the renovations to my house, I can see real
attractions in your profession....Satisfying creative instincts,
playing with models and drawings, projecting modern happening
artistic talents onto buildings....There is much to admire.

Yes, the above is easier and in fact possible if you are employed, but
again looking optimistically, if you consider architecture as an
art then your unemployment rate is probably low relative to many
other artists.....I guess that might sound ridiculous when you're opening
yet another can of baked beans.

I hope I havent further depressed readers......

And to all the depressed readers, how does this sound?....Therapy
for architectural advice :-) :-)

Veda Chang