Re: Internet Survey

> [...]
>
> 1=Not at all 4=About 2-3 times a month
> 2=A few times 5=Once a week
> 3=About once a month 6=More than once a week
>
> American Mathematical Society BBS __1__
> American Psychological Assn. __1__
> CARL __2__
> CITADEL __2__
> Cleveland FreeNet __2__
> Dartmouth Dante __1__
> Dialog __1__
> Dow-Jones News Retrieval __1__
> Dranet __1__
> EDIN __1__
> EPA __1__
> ERIC __1__
> FEDIX/MOLIS __1__
> GenBank __1__
> Geographic Name Server __1__
> International Centre for Distance Learning __1__
> ISAAC __1__
> Lexis __1__
> Market/Business Report __1__
> National Education BBS __1__
> Netfind __1__
> Nexis __2__
> Oceanic Information Center __1__
> OCLC __1__
> PENpages __1__
> RLIN __1__
> SpaceLink __1__
> STIS __1__
> TC Forum __1__
> Weather Underground __5__
> Webster Dictionary __1__
>
> Other (Please specify): Histnet(?) at ukansas
> Oxford English Dictionary
>
> 3. FTP Use: How often do you download files from FTP archive sites?
>
> (Insert appropriate number beside each item)
>
> 1=Not at all 4=About 2-3 times a month
> 2=A few times 5=Once a week
> 3=About once a month 6=More than once a week
>
> Computers and Academic Freedom __1__
> EASI __1__
> History __2__
> LIBSOFT __1_
> Lyric and Discography __1__
> NASA __1__
> Online Libraries Directory __1__
> Science Education __1__
> SIMTEL20 __1__
> SUMEX-AIM __1__
> U.S. Supreme Court Decisions __1__
> Washington Uni. Public Domain Archives __1__
>
> Other (Please Specify):
>

> 4. Several navigational aids have been developed for the Internet.
> How often do you use these network guides?
>
> (Insert appropriate number beside items below.)
>
> 1=Not at all 4=About 2-3 times a month
> 2=A few times 5=Once a week
> 3=About once a month 6=More than once a week
>
> Archie __2__
> Campus-wide Information Systems __2__
> Gopher __2__
> WAIS (Wide-area information servers) __1__
> WWW (WorldWideWeb) __1__
> Veronica __1__
> HYTELNET __2__
> Other (Please specify):
>

> Personal experiences can be the most helpful to other users. Please comment
+ on
> the following:
>
> 5. The importance of the Internet to your work?
> The network allows me to quickly access the brains of other
historians when searching for information/citations. It allows
me to maintain international contacts easily.

> 6. Advantages the Internet offers over other resources?
> Speed, convenience, certainty in the exhange of letters and
info, when compared with mail.

> 7. Barriers to using the Internet?
> 1- not everyone is on it, nor all institutions
2 - finding out how to navigate on the internet and where to
navigate to for what is almost impossible, not because there
is no informaion but an avalanche of it. This is a front end
problem I think, which could be solved by giving or directing
the first time users to the appropriate guides (though often
enough these are also totally confusing.