A Note from Art Criticism NEXT

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 28-AUG-1993
23:45:19.36
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: sleeping giant

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1993 22:38:00 CDT
From: [email protected]
Subject: sleeping giant
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well, let's see if we can waken the sleeping giant. I know, I know: it is the
beginning of the semester and there is everything to do. Yet, you know how
much you have missed the list. So, let me see what I can start. *****
Some years back American Artist Magazine asked me for an article regarding
public funding of the arts in general and funding of individual artists in
particular. At that young and innocent time I felt that the the NEA should not
fund the individual artist because there was so very little money for the pur-
pose of supporting the arts. It just did not seem right to put the money in
the pockets of the very few...and some of them simply did not need the money.
(of course, some did). I went on to explain that the money could be used in
a manner that would benefit many more artists on a larger scale. Dissemenation
of information is one thing that could be done with Fed $s. There are things
that artists need/want to know such as health problems associated with certain
materials, or a GOOD listing of exhibition opportunities (with some kind of
professional reviewing so the artists are informed of 'rip-off' shows). I
thought that Fed$ might be used for very low interest loans to artists for
equipment and capital improvement (very hard to get these in public sector).
I am sure that there are many more ideas that could be described that would
put the Fed$ to good use for MANY artists, instead of so few. Now, since I did
that article, I have strenghtened my feelings about the funding of the individ-
ual artist. Not only have very few benefitted from the Fed$, but some that
have, have been a catalyst for a reaction that has caused the enterprise to be
questioned, in general, and for a tidal wave of congressional interest in re-
ducing the Fed$ for the arts. No blame rests on Paul Serrano or Robert Maple-
thorp! All blame rests on the people who pull Jesse Helms strings...however,
what happened was not unpredictable...and it has hurt the larger cause. Now,
before one of you goes and looks it up, I got a NEA Fellowship in Painting...
but that was BEFORE I had formed the view I have just presented. *****
So, what have you, Great Electronic Sleeping Giant, to say to this?

B e n M a h m o u d : U 2 0 B X M 1 @ N I U . B I T N E T