Re: solid modelling in architecture

- - The original note follows - -

From: Marcos Novak <novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: solid modelling in architecture
Date: 31 Aug 1993 21:44:23 GMT

In article <31AUG199313361707@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> HEDRICK,
dlh5069@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>[request for information regarding solid modelling in architecture]

I would normally be content lurking in the background, trying to see what
the current state of discourse is among architects on the net, and
wondering when the discussion will shift into a genuine exchange about
what architecture is becoming, under the influence of the very fact that
we are able to have this communication. Most of the discussions I have
read express a rather narrow, disgruntled, nostalgic utilitarianism that
is, paradoxically, of little use. Business as usual will only leave
architects out of business, and architecture homeless.

Still, it's good to see someone ask about something other than drafting ,
and so, to help things along, here's a suggestion I'm surprised no one
has made yet. FormZ is an incredibly powerful and agile 'form
synthesizer' program that outstrips by far most, if not all, modeling
programs, on any platform. It has been written by architects, and it is
continuing to grow and improve. It has both a sophisticated internal
structure and an intelligent and friendly interface for a program that
offers such an incredible formal universe. At the risk of sounding like
an ad, nothing else comes close. If you want to move up from here you
better learn how to use Mathematica, Max, Explorer, and a good dose of
C++, and start programming your compositions directly.

If this sounds opinionated, it is. We (architects) are taking far too
long to join. let alone lead, the times.

Marcos

=================================
Marcos Novak, Director
Advanced Design Research Program