Re: solid modelling in architecture

- - The original note follows - -

From: dcgrider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: solid modelling in architecture
Date: 1 Sep 93 20:53:04 CST

Computer modelling in Architecture.

I spent the last year, as a firt year M.Arch student, learning design
with a Quadra 700 at my disposal; we were running Form-Z.
Here are some observations I have.

- I found the process of building a computer model a much more rewarding way
of exploring form and space that using conventional 2D (hand or computer
generated) techniques. I felt as if I were exploring form and space, much like
working with a real model; the element of time, through dynamism, is added.

- Since computer generated objects are ephemeral (they can be duplicated
exactly, at any time, as often as one wishes, or can be erased with no trace
of existence) there are no 'precious object' restrictions on reworking,
redesigning, and further exploration. Can anyone imagine a critic tearing
a computer generated drawing of the wall, knowing another copy is a push
button away? I'm not very interested in craft intensive renderings; it
would be like coloring in the instructions for a plastic model airplane.

- My experience has been that much of the resistance to using the computer
as a design tool is from people very steeped in the traditional skills; much
like painters at the rise of photography, or studio guitarists with the advent
of the digital sampler. People still paint and play guitar; the new stuff just
added to the discourse.