GENERAL: Grants to Women.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 7-SEP-1993
23:29:58.51
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: grants&women

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 22:23:00 CDT
From: [email protected]
Subject: grants&women
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

sender...I am very sorry about that) regarding the funding of grants to
women: When I sat on the Illinois Arts Council I served as chair of three
panels (these are the ad-hoc groups that are selected to act as the "experts"
and make recommendations to the Council for funding ***most always these re-
commendations were accepted***). Visual Arts Panel, Multi-Media Panel, and
Ethnics Arts Panel. In every case, whenever we met and worked toward decisions
the panels had equal gender distribution. Sometimes, of course, there were
more men than women, sometimes more women than men. In ALL cases, the decision
s were gender neutral. Today, I wonder if they would be so gender neutral. I
mean there has been a decade of consciousness raising that might (ought to)tip
the scales toward a dispostion toward women. {ie., if I were serving on any
search committee in our department today, my first order would be to find
a woman for the position....and while I have not been on this committee, those
that have have done just so}. Yet, we read your statistics....sadly. I think
that the problem is not with the funding agencies, but with a society that does
not teach and encourage everyone to apply, reapply and reapply. I further
think that if one submitted a body of work that seemed to fight old battles tha
t seemed already won, this body of work might be not so favorably viewed.
It is not fun to watch one beat a horse. It is less entertaining to watch
one beat a dead horse. Now, let's see what that rouses!
B e n M a h m o u d : U 2 0 B X M 1 @ N I U . B I T N E T