ARCHITECTURE: Book for a Girlfriend...

- - The original note follows - -

From: card@skyfox
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: RE: Girlfriend
Date: 8 SEP 93 01:41:35 GMT

In a previous article, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Markus Hauser)
wrote:
>Hi,
>
>My girl-friend is about to start studies in architecture.
>And I am actually in need of a present. So I think
>may be a nice book related to architecture would do.

>So what are your favourites - I would appreciate all suggestions!
>The book could be written in English or in German.
>
>M. Hauser

If you can find them, two excellent books on avant-garde directions in
architecture, are:

New Spirit in Architecture, by Peter Cook, and Rosie Llewelyn-Jones (sp?)

and

Violated Perfection, whose author escapes me at the moment, and I don't
have my copy with me right now.

Both books are published by Rizzoli - so if you can't find them in the local
bookstore, order them for her, she'll eventually want them! (IMHO)
Both are well illustrated, superbly written, and offer more of an "academic,"
where by academic I mean projects which have at their core conceptual rather
than practical motivation, view of modern architecture. Usually, universities
tend towards projects with a lot of theoretical thought involved, since they
don't get built, anyway.

If you balance things out, by getting your girlfriend one of these books, and
then Pattern Language, or any of Venturi's books (suggested earlier), she
should have a really good running start at school.

Hope I helped,

Michael Card [card@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]