ART: "Kids" Are Goats!

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 16-SEP-1993
08:29:10.28
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: RE: art education?

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 13:21:03 +0100
From: "S.A.Rae (Simon Rae)" <S.A.Rae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: art education?
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

B e n said:
".... For many years, those in our school
who failed to make the MFA grade took up the MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching),
where they seemed to thrive."

Which seems to be a variation on the:

"Those that can, do
Those that can't, teach."

olde proverb. (Which, when I've got my teacher's hat on, is a proverb that I
consider WRONG and abusive ... but when I've just met my kids out of school and
listened to another tale of missed opportunities, administrative obstructions
and academic ineptitude I'm afraid I COMPLETELY agree with! [And not just kids
from school but also kids in college/university etc.]) (Oh boy ...
Mr Home-schooling is going to have a field day with this one! ... and yes I do
wish that I could home-school more than I do although I would have trouble
giving them teaching ANY chemistry!)

The trouble with art education (and I guess all education) is that the teacher
is only part of the equation. I learn best and did learn best from people who
couldn't teach others to spit! The pupil plays a part in the transfer of
knowledge/skill/appreciation/whatever. Matching pupils with teachers (to the
pupils benefit) is the problem. Sometimes the pupil has to change their
attitude, sometimes the teacher has to change. Reality unfortunately puts paid
to much of the process ... monitary forces / social conventions etc etc ...

In the arts it seems (and I guess the US is the same as the UK in this respect
... and sorry there for chopping out 75% of the world but you know what I
mean!) success is measured and achieved in some very 'strange' ways. Motivation
- to the point of selfeshness - is almost a prerequisite of success (for
example ... there's not much money in the arts ... one or two earn big bucks, a
few are comfortable ... most commit themselves AND their
partner/children/dependents to a scratch living at best. Those that do could be
seen as being selfish.) (I chose NOT to so commit ... I moved into something
else ... now my partner/children/dependents have to put up with endless gripes
of "I couldha' been a contender - know wot I mean". Selfish in another way I
guess.) "failed to make the MFA grade" does not necessarily mean failed as an
artist.

Sorry to offend if I have ... I'm just 'coming down' after a morning spent
teaching people about e-mail (because I CAN!) ... and my fingers are running
away with it.

Cheers
Simon