Design in General...

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
From: gibsonf1@xxxxxxxxxx (Frederick Clifford Gibson)
Subject: Re: Design in General...
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1993 05:30:13 GMT

N John Tsuchiya (tsuchiya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

: In thinking about designing architecture, it appears that "good design"
: is based upon three major areas. (I might be missing some really important
: area, but right now, these seem to me to be the only factors.) In other
terms,
: one can think of these as being the three major "functions" of a building:

: 1. Structure: how well the building stands, how it physically
: resists disasters (including fires), how well it
protects
: itself from wind, precipitation, and wear

: 2. Climate/Energy: how well it uses energy (which is
: usually closely related to climate); how well it relates
: to the physical effects of site (climate, orientation,
: physical form of site)

: 3. Built Environment: how well the building works directly in
: relation to people---psychological effects, effects of
: human movement, comfortable furniture, etc. (including
: such things as where rooms are placed in relation to the
: path of the sun, ornament, etc.)

: From my point of view, a building which accomplishes all three functions well
: in a physical form would be a "good design."
[deletia]

I think if we are talking about the FUNDAMENTAL functions of architecture, lets
start with the axiomatic function of architecture: to serve man.

The next level of functions in the hierarchy would be physical protection;
i.e. shelter from the natural and man-made environment. Life-sustaining
functions would come next (i.e. working, food preparation, sleeping,
relaxation/recreation). And finally, we would come to "spiritual" functions
of architecture which would include the Art of Architecture.

Summarizing:

Good Architecture must:

I. serve man
A. Provide physical protection
1. Structure
2. Enclosure
B. Provide life-sustaining functions

Great Architecture must:

II. Provide spiritual enrichment / inspiration (Art)
A. Respond to the physical context
1. Natural
2. Man-made
B. Respond to the spiritual context
1. Concept to express the essence of the project
(The idea which integrates all of the contextual
requirements of the project; the BIG IDEA)
2. FORM
a. Scale (generated from the big idea)
b. Proportions (generated from the big idea)

Fred Gibson
gibsonf1@xxxxxxxxxx

Designer, Kaplan McLauglin Diaz Architects, San Francisco