ART: More on Chicago Art.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 21-SEP-1993
11:29:03.69
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: RE: public art

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 08:00:41 -0700
From: Raymond Lauzzana <lauzzana@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: public art
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

My favorite Bad bad public sculpture is the statue of the policeman in
front of the International Harvester building. Has anyone ever torn that down
yet? It's been a long time since I've been to to Chicago. About 20 years,
one of my most vivid memories is that it seems that at the time Chicago
was trying to erase its past. It was installing a neo-past on the near
northsid5.
while at the same time demolishing most of its waterfront. The whole thing
seemed a bit psychotic. I have been trapped by the deconstructivists.

I really don't think that most of them have any idea of decon outside of
literary criticism. Some how the deco_list has decon_confused_with_pomo.

To my eyes, ears, etc., decon is the next step in modernism - reconciling
modern mathematics and computing with the origins of modernism forund in
the Russian Avant Garde. I gueass the best way for me to describe the diference
is the difference between the work of Zaha Hadid and Philip Johnson.
Hadid's work is intended to wake you up - Johnson is trying to put is into
a post-modern sleep.

Well, if anyone would like to discuss the "decorative" public arts more .I'd
like it.

. ray