Making space scene paintings

- - The original note follows - -

From: ah335@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richard Banks)
Newsgroups:
rec.arts.misc,rec.misc,alt.artcom,soc.culture.canada,misc.misc,rec.arts.sf.misc,
rec.arts.startrek.misc
Subject: Making space scene paintings
Date: 20 Sep 1993 20:45:32 GMT
soc.culture.canada:7410 misc.misc:2016 rec.arts.sf.misc:1584
rec.arts.startrek.misc:8788

I was in Toronto, Canada a few weeks ago and got a chance to observe a
man on the street making and selling space scene pictures.
He made them on a poster board using various colofs or spray paint,
different sizes of open ended cylinders (to make the planets),
newspaper (which was crumpled to aid in making various patterns),etc.

The scenes consisted of planets amist stars and comets over pyramids
and a lake (which he made by alternately scraping the paint with a
card back and forth from left to right).

Me and my friend would like to try and reproduce our own such paintings
and I am looking for someone how has done something similar to this
to share ideas with.
I would greatly appreciate any techniques or ideas you may have to
offfer.

Thank you.
Richard Banks