ART: Style?

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 21-SEP-1993
16:12:36.97
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: Addr: chicago indians

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 14:57:58 EDT
From: AJENDRZE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Addr: chicago indians
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Comments: Forwarding note of Tue,
21 Sep 1993 15:30:44 EST from Deborah Zuccarini
<DXZUCCAR%OCC.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

About two or three years ago the major of Evansville IN decided to ignore
a panel of community spokes persons and art experts from several surrounding in
stitutions, to stop a nonobjective sculpture from being installed as a
community symbol in favor of a representational work that might have attributes
closer to social realism. Yes, people are doing this stuff, or stuff like it.
In terms of looking at works from the past, it's interesting to see the record
of our history attitudes in those old monuments. If we tore the Indians down
with our new found idealism, should we go on an idealistic binge to
tear down the parthenon and the pyramids, because we would be shocked to realiz
e the circumstances under which they were made? Or can we view those monuments
knowing what is truth and what is lie? --Andy I'm still too busy for this...
*** Forwarding note from SMTP --VUNET 09/21/93 14:35 ***