ART: Chicago Sculpture. Style?

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 21-SEP-1993
18:05:25.25
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: RE: Chicago Indians & 3rd Reich

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 17:40:56 -0400
From: Peter Roos <proos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Chicago Indians & 3rd Reich
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ben Mahmould's comment about the 3rd Reich and the two Indians on horses in
Chicago is out of line. The slaughter of the Indians and the slaughter of the
Jews is a whole other mailing list topic. To pin that to the two sculptures in
Chicago is crazy. The two Indians on horses in Chicago is a style of heroic art
that was prevalent back in the earlier part of this century, whether the artist
was depicting an Indian or a Mail Man. The two sculptures in question flank a
major road leading into downtown Chicago, from the western suburbs. Congress
Avenue goes past these two Indians, over the tracks and ends at Buckingham
Fountain (which is next to Lake Michigan). I am a painter, not a sculptor - and
I do not claim to be an expert on the subject, but it seems to me that public
art depends a lot on the context in which it exists. The Indians on horses in
Chicago are wonderful examples of good public art of it's time. I know these
sculptures well, and have always enjoyed them (especially after they were
cleaned and restored). The "Lady of Chicago" by Picasso is a great public art
work. The scale of the piece and it's relationship to the surrounding buildings
is billiant. The buildings and the sculpture play off one another. I especially
love to see how people interact with the sculpture.
Enough about sculpture for now.
Peter Roos