GENERAL: Vietnam Memorial Commentary.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 21-SEP-1993
23:49:18.94
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: viet war memorial

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 22:38:00 CDT
From: [email protected]
Subject: viet war memorial
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Viet Memorial was done by the daughter of Henry Lin, ceramicist and chair
of the dept. where I did my grad work. Got to know him, but not his daughter.
When that thing first appeared, and I went to see it, I walk along, and found
myself getting deeper and deeper into the piece (not a figurative statement).
As I moved through time my involvement got deeper (a statement that is figura-
tive and refers to actuality). This is exactly how we got involved in that
war. Each week we were deeper in it. More dead. More invested. More to do.
Next week, even more, etc. etc. etc.. That is the power of that work of art.
And that is one of the profound subliminal (decon texts) that it provides.
Now, that is a work of art that expresses the horrible tragedy and the existen-
tial process in which we, as a nation, participated in that tragedy. Of course
we all did not acquiese quietly. Some of us went kicking and screaming into the
tear gas or worse...but the truth of the national involvement is at least as
powerful a monument to what we are as the protests that finally brought the
madness to an end.
B e n M a h m o u d : U 2 0 B X M 1 @ N I U . B I T N E T