ARCHITECTURE: Domebooks.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "List for the discussion of Buckminster
Fuller's works" 22-SEP-1993 13:54:47.38
To: IN%"[email protected]" "Multiple recipients of list GEODESIC"
CC:
Subj: Domebooks

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1993 10:43:22 -0700
From: apang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Domebooks
Sender: List for the discussion of Buckminster Fuller's works
<[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list GEODESIC <[email protected]>

The bibliographic references for the _Domebooks_ are:

Lloyd Kahn et al, Domebook One (Los Gatos, CA: Pacific
Domes, 1970)

Lloyd Kahn, et al, Domebook Two (Bolinas, CA: Pacific
Domes, 1971)

If these cannot be found at your local library or through inter-library
loan, I recommend you look for Kahn's _Refried Domes_ (Bolinas: Shelter
Publications, 1989; ISBN 0-936070-10-2). Its available from Shelter for
$7. Their address is P.O. Box 279, Bolinas 94924. It contains material
reprinted from _Domebook 2_, _Shelter_, and _Shelter 2_.

Another book to look for iSteve Baer, _Dome Cookbook_ (Lama Publications,
1968); as I recall, it has tables for computing strut lengths and some
useful information about dome construction.

On the subject of domes: I am beginning to collect interviews and other
recollections on encounters with Fuller and his work, and on experiences
with building and living in domes, for a history of Fuller and the geodesic
dome from 1950 to the mid-1970s. Even if you've never built a dome, I'm
curious as to how people hear about and become interested in Fuller and
his work.

Feel free to respond to me directly if you want, rather than through the
bulletin board.

Best,

Alex Soojung-Kim Pang
Department of History