M.Arch Programs?

Send comments to originator (not me) and to the design-l. Thanks. Howard

- - The original note follows - -

From: drz4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dena Rachel Zyroff)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: M.Arch Programs?
Date: 23 Sep 1993 18:13:38 GMT

I am a senior at Columbia College, majoring in architecture (B.A. not
B.Arch), and I would like to apply to a good graduate school for a M.
Arch program, preferably in the northeast.

What is the main focus/emphasis/character/philosophy of each
school? At Columbia, so far, we undergrads haven't come across a
single door or window yet... and I fear the consequences of
continuing with pure theory and abstraction. Should I be worried- or do all
the grad schools teach you the basics eventually? Or, does one learn the
practical stuff on the job? My goal is not to remain in
academia, nor to enter competitions for a living, but to eventually
lead a normal successful life as an architect, if such a thing exists :-)

Any advice would be appreciated!

-DZ