Re: Jury Reviews

REply to originator and the list...

- - The original note follows - -

From: mst4298@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mitchell S Todd)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: Jury Reviews
Date: 23 Sep 1993 15:35 CDT
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41

"Elizabeth A. Stoltenberg" <es4r+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes...

>I personally dread reviews of all types. I am currently a 2nd year at
>Carnegie Mellon, and I very recently had a mid project review. This is
>the first time I have ever had one of these and I think that it was very
>helpful. I guess the main reason I don't like final reviews is that you
>have to defend your work and then you get all sorts of feedback which is
>basically useless to you because the project is over. A mid project
>review on the other hand is very helpful. It gives the architect a
>chance to take the feedback they got in review and actually put it to
>good use. And although I hate them with a passion, I can see the
>rationale behind them. We, as architects are going to have to be able to
>present our work in a way which is convincing to the client. So
>basically this is just preparing us for what is yet to come.

What? A final review is useless? Never. Even if you aren't going
to do anything more on a particular project, the feedback you
get in the final review will be valuable as you conceive and
execute your next project. Any good advice is valuable, no matter
when you get it.

I have to agree with you on preferring mid-project crits, though,
especially when there are several of them. They allow for a more
thorough investigation of the design possibilities. Also, a good
studio culture is extremely helpful.

\\\\\\
------