mod-phil-arch

Raymond

No I have not read Derrida's commentary on Husserl.

I believe Derrida's most important contributions started with his
reading of Heidegger. I have not read this either. I Have tried reading
Derrida's of Grammatology, and found it extremely hard to get through.
I have no doubt that it is supremely intelligent work, but it is also
very cerebral. And I am not the only one who thinks that his concepts
have a very marginal influence on
architecture. Other who have taken to phenomenology have shown that the
real architectural works produced by deconstructionists ultimately fall
into our perception. This is why I believe phenomenology becomes more
important to architecture, as it deals with manifestations. It is only
through presence that we can determine absence. Let us understand presence
first.

I'll take any shots in the holes in my arguement.

gotta get back to thesis.

Ashish Mukerjee amukerje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Graduate Student 504 388 6134
School of Architecture
Louisiana State University

"Poetically man dwells." Hans Holderlein.