Re: ART: Vietnam War Memorial. [or ARCHITECTURE?]

> In regard to public art.....
>
> nuances of the site have powerful meanings, etc....I thought it interesting
> that the veterans themselves raised enough money to have another statue
> erected bearing the 'drum and fife' type of design. Maybe few Vietnam
> veterans had art appreciation.

I have to dissagree with your implication that the 'drum and fife' statue
lacks artistic value. I like to believe that art is something moving and
internally stirring. To be in the presence of the wall with the three
bronze soldiers standing behind you ... put me in a weird time triangle.
Purhaps, they just wanted to be there to see who comes along.

Elsewhere...

If art is the ability to move me or speak to me on some other level, and
"popular" art speaks to many people at once, then should we be surprised
by the direction of todays "popular" art. Should the violence and sex and
the seedy depictions be at all shocking when in the end it is all just a
reflection of life.