Environmental VISUAL Impact

Dear networkers,
I am involved in studies of the environmental VISUAL impact of
buildings, industries and infrastructures (i.e. railroads).

My aim is to develop a mathematical model to quantify or compare
the impact of buildings and infrastructures when they are still
on paper.
The model should offer an aid to designers to evaluate their
work and to authorities interested in comparing alternative
hypotheses.

At present, I know two approaches:
- we could integrate computer graphics with a rigorous methodolo-
gy to get a reliable simulation of the plan inserted in the
environment and then evaluate this simulation with a cognitive
model to get some parameters of how the new presence could be
perceived;
- we could try to recognize the most significant perceptual
elements in both building and environment and then define a
psychological scale of their acceptance.

I am interested:
1. in related bibliography;
2. to share opinions with anyone involved in these questions;
3. to evaluate existing models;
4. to start a collaboration (perhaps an international research
project) to develop and test a new model.

Many Thanks arch. Luca Caneparo
Politecnico di Torino - Facolta' di Architettura
E-mail: media@xxxxxxxxx