How do we define "design-er"?

Now that is the question isn't!?

Let melay down a tentative start at this.

Firstly, All architects are not designers. Let's face it. Indeed, within
the structure of architecture as racticed in the US, it's something less
than 10%. Frankly,licensing turns out to not have much to with designing.
It has a great deal to do with legal responsiblity and liabilities, but
nearly zero 4o do with design.

So - on to design - A qu~r{{tion dear to my heart. But, not one which can
be given a simple answer. (I am getting some noisey echoes on my connections,
so please pass over the null chao{racters).{{_

Certainly, design is a premeditated process by which concepts are realized.
A way by which su{jects become objects. One of the great difficulties
in teaching design is th ease by which we can focus on the objects of design
(the models, drawings, "output") and forget about the subject (the content,
prpose, ideas, etc.). A "good" designer can balance the two. That is, maintain
an awareness of the physical objectives wihile carryi6g forward the subject
of the design. "great" designers are able to innovate both in the subject,
bringing forth new spatial ideas and the objectsok, realiz{ng original
methods and forms.

O well, I guss that's enough for now.
The noise on this line is too great.

Ray Lauzzana