Re: modphilarch

I think A shis
I think Ashish should look at 2 books by Vincent Descombes:
Modern French Philosophy, OUP, 1980,1986 and
Objects of All Sorts:A philosophical Grammar, Johns Hopkins,1986

IN the latter there is an interesting criticism of phenomenology,
that an object must be present for "me", so you can end up with
the absurd situation of a cube only having 2 or 3 sides because
this is all that is apparent to me. Phenomenology couldn't accept
me realising the other sides, or the voice I can't hear but know
is there, or person or object I can't see but must be there. Such
problems also go back further than Husserl, to Locke and Hume, or
even Diderot's "Letters on the Blind." Another book that I find
useful at present is
Francis Jacques, Difference and Subjectivity: Dialogue and Personal
Identity,New Haven and London, Yale University Press.
As Ray Lazzara has made out, you can criticise Derrida, but you can't
ignore him: he is certainly a critic of philosophy, not just a fly by
night phenomenon- pardon the pun....
But as you say, even with all the criticisms in many philosophies, there
are useful points amongst the errors....

Martin Hayes