Re: KAHN-struction

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
From: john@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: KAHN-struction
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1993 20:19:05 GMT

In article <28ce7e$8k8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> john70@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Anyone who has read the latest issue of PA please tell me which c
>computer system and program(s) were used in the project that reconstructs
>an unbuilt Kahn project. I am interested in trying out such software but only
>glanced at the article.
>
> any further info would be appreciated.
> thanks
> John
> e-mail respnonses please

The un-built Kahn project was modelled using Arris from Sigma Design,
Inc. The base Arris module, along with the Arris Modeling & Rendering,
and a 3rd party package called Sculptor from Aritek (Englewood, Co)
were used for the geometries. The gorgeous bi-directional raytracing,
texture mapping, and bump mapping were done with an Arris product
called Integra. Integra is a further developed version of
Turbo-Beam-Tracer written in Japan -now Sigma Design (Arris) has
purchased the right to sell it as their own in all countries except
Japan and Poland.

Believe it or not, those images (as well as others from the same
project) looked much better (IMHO) on the computer screen than
in the magazine! I viewed these at Arris Expo West on a
Silicon Graphics Indigo-2 Extreme (1280x1024x24bit & $35,000),
and the images were simply STUNNING. I have never seen
architectural shots from the computer as photorealistic as these.
The magazine didn't completely do it justice.

Arris is an excellent CAD package for AEC and facilities mgmt.
It has always been a Unix-based package; however, a version is
now becomming available for Microsloth Windoze (necessarily
stripped of some of its power/flexibility). It runs on SGI,
HP, IBM RS/6000, Suns, DEC, and PC's running SCO Unix/Xenix.
At this time, Integra is only sold for SGI boxes, though a
beta version for Sun Sparcs is out.

Approximate prices for the packages bove follow:
Arris BDD $3300
Arris M&R $2650
Aritek Sculptor $900
Arris Integra $15000

Sigma Design, Inc. is in Burlington, Ma. at 617-270-1000
Aritek is in Englewood, Co. at 303-799-6559

I am a very happy end-user. Have fun!
-John john@xxxxxxxxxx

--
Deathrace 2000