ART: Responsibility.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 15-OCT-1993
01:37:49.03
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: viewers' responsibility

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 00:27:00 CDT
From: [email protected]
Subject: viewers' responsibility
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Nicole, I have been very interested in your discussions regarding your project.
I am pleased that Michael Rodemer responded to you ...and I hope he has time
to give you some input. His will be most helpful. I would like to say, in
response to your last post regarding how your work will be understood: It is
not your responsibility, as an artist, to determine how your work will be
received. That is the viewers' responsibility. The artist has the respon-
sibility to self, to authenticity and to craft. And every artist.....God,
every artist knows that is almost more than can be borne.
B e n M a h m o u d : U 2 0 B X M 1 @ N I U . B I T N E T