Cognitive (or Mental) Mapping. [Long]

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Help: Urban Planning and Cognitive Maps
From: aufgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Danny Aufgang )
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1993 15:33:13 GMT
Sender: usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (The Ever-So-Great Usenet)

Shalom. I have just started my first year of the Masters program
in Urban Planning at B.G.U. Israel and decided to turn to you all for
help very early on in my thesis work. I will type out a quick summery of
what I intend to do. Being so early in my studies, many aspects are
still unclear or very flexible. If you know of any resources (old thesis
works) which might be of interest to me, have any personal words of
wisdom or can recommend someone for me to get in touch with, that would
help tremendously. Please get back to me PERSONAL E-MAIl
(aufgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) in insure that I get all the responses. If you
are interesting in getting a few rough copies of my work in about a half
a year or so, please feel free to ask. I already have over ten pages of
references. I think that this is an important subject and should be
looked at by all planners. There is so much of the theoretical work out
there, it is a shame no one bothered to examine the particle implications
for Planners.

Thanks ahead of time;

D.A.

thesis topic: Incorporating People's Metal Maps into Physical and Social
Planning.

for: Thesis work for Masters of Human Geography, spec. in Urban
Planning. Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Ber-Sheva, Israel

subject:
background:
Many studies have been conducted on humans' cognitive recognition of the
built environment and the significance of metal maps, yet very little
works seems to have been done on the practical applications of such
maps. If people make decisions based on what they think, then should not
planners start planning for how people think and perceive the city?
Almost all decisions that dictate shopping behavior, real estate
purchasing, site selection and even walking habits are on data stored in
peoples' metal maps. Planners must understand these maps and learn how
to incorporate them into their planning decisions.

goal:
It is the goal of this study to explore the theoretical significance of
poples' mental map with the premise that a better understanding of how
people view a city will allow planners to plan more responsibly. An
attempt will be made to build certain models which will act as tools for
understanding mental maps, planning responsive to mental maps and
planning in order to "re-draw" peoples' metal maps. The focus will be on
urban renewal projects.

General framework:
-Introduction and survey of the literature.
-theoretical back ground of cognitive mapping in the urban context.
-Case studies on how changes to the physical fabric of a city over time
affected peoples' cognitive perceptions of the area. (perhaps attempt to
conduct some empirical studies)
-Draw conclusions and examine if planned changes in the urban fabric can
cause predictable changes in peoples' metal maps.
-
-
Planning for cognitive maps: Practical recommendations for planners
working in the field for implementation of the above idea.

methodology:
-study a single area which is undergoing rapid changes and see the
affects on peoples' metal maps
-build computer simulation to test behavior models and compare to field work
-ask everybody on INTERNET Urban Planning Student list for help and hope
to get some ;).

Danny Aufgang

phone: 927-7-232-817
fax: 927-7-278-991