ARCHITECTURE: Anyone for Some Big City Trips Tips?

- - The original note follows - -

From: herzog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Marcus Herzog (wsi))
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Summary of architectural trip recommendation
Date: 2 Nov 1993 14:42:13 GMT

Now here is the compiled list of all answers I got in response to my
question. Thanks to everyone who sent me some info. I hope I can post
my favorite ones after my trip. By the way, if anyone has still some
good ideas where to go, keep them coming.

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am visiting Washington, Philadelphia, New York, and Seattle in
> November. As I am not so familiar with the latest architectural
> projects in these cities, I want to know if anybody can suggest
> interesting places to go there. Please reply directly to my address; I
> will re-post the collected answers (hopefully) all at once.
>
> Thanks a lot

From mcholbi1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, Philly doesn't have a lot of architectural activity right now. If
you're into tall stuff, the recently-completed One Liberty Place is
impressive. For a skyscraper, it is distinctive. The new Convention Center
is causing quite a stir, though it's not to my taste. As far as less
'public' architecture, you can find some fascinating and ingenious use of
stone and fiberglass in the Western suburbs (e.g., Rose Valley, Media) Of
course, historically, Philly is good for colonial and post-colonial as
well.

Hope this helps.
>From tmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Mon Oct 25 11:22:10 1993

check out the freeway gardens at the civic center. A wonderful use of lost
space. Architect Magdalena Abramovowicz ?sp? has reclaimed the air space
over the central freeway with a wonderfully detailed park which emenates the
natural charecteristics of the Pacific Northwest. BY THE WAY THIS IS IN
SEATTLE. ALSO the city has one of the best public art collections in the US!
Question whats a matter with California??? your going everywhere else! :)
T.
From archi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I haven't seen it yet, but from everything that I have read, the Holocaust
Museum shouldn't be missed. I saw it in a past issue of PROGRESSIVE
ARCHITECTURE, and it was truly spectacular. I don't know how you would
feel about the subject material (makes me pretty squeemish, personally!),
but the building is getting rave reviews!!!

Wish that I knew more places to suggest to you, but I haven't had much
chance to travel....maybe after my graduation in December!

Hope that you have a terrific trip!
kristen
From GLINDSEY@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

In Washington, the East Wing of the National Gallery was designed by I.M.
Pei.
In NY, the Guggenheim Museum has just reopened (A Frank Lloyd Wright
building).
From song@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd like to suggest that when you arrive in Seattle, you should go to
Peter Miller Books, the city's architecture/design bookstore. It's located
on First Avenue downtown. You can pick up a guidebook describing walking
architectural tours.

Perhaps the most remarkable sites in Seattle are the public projects
like:
o the Metro bus tunnel (transportation project with integrated
public art)
o Freeway Park (built over a highway)
o Pike Place Market (a preserved farmers' market, the heart of Seattle)
o Gasworks Park (a reclaimed gas liquification plant, which
has retained huge rusting tanks and equipment as part of the
design - also, a great waterfront view of the downtown)

There's a very impressive horticultural garden, the Bloedel Reserve, on
Bainbridge Island, which is a 45 minute ferry ride from downtown.
The reserve was created by a wealthy lumber family; it contains meadows,
forest, formal gardens, a moss garden, a Japanese garden, a Zen rock
garden, and other stuff. You need to make a reservation to visit, though.

Have a good time.
From BYRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ow, how much time do you have!? :-)

Phila. has buildings of historical/ architectural worth going back
to the 18th century.

Anyhow I would recommend that the best way to experience this is
to just walk. Phila., unlike many American cities, is a very walkable
city. Being a European you may appreciate that.

If you walk west on, say, Pine St. in Center City(downtown)
you will see examples of American 18th century colonial houses
onward to 19th century Victorian styles that are present
around the Rittenhouse Sq area. The strength of Phila.'s
architecture is not in public buildings but in private
homes.
---
Marcus Herzog email: m.herzog@xxxxxxxx
uni: TU-Vienna, Inst. 184/2, Paniglg. 16, A-1040 Wien, phone: +43-1-58801-6115
home: Promenadegasse 57 D2/2, A-1170 Wien, Austria phone/fax: +43-1-453980