ART: SCULPTURE: Discussion.

From: IN%"AJENDRZE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 31-OCT-1993 10:26:23.16
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
CC:
Subj: Addr: Re: Addr: Art Censorship...

Date: 31 Oct 93 09:16:19 EDT
From: AJENDRZE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Addr: Re: Addr: Art Censorship...
To: HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Howard, my sculpture throughout the 80's has been envirnmental installation
oriented, for the most part. Most of the work is temporary and usually
site or situation specific. A series of works used snow fences, branches
and/or rocks. Another used river drift wood to make gestural forms of
the figure, not unlike some of Deborah Butterfield's horses, in what I
called The Innocent Citizen Series. This series was directly related to
my experience and readings about Vietnam, though the work is not Vietnam
specific to the viewer. My latest series of sculpture are probably read
as much more classical looking and sensual, beaten out of terne metal,
a roofing material made of lead and tin coated steel, often found on old
houses, which is where I get the stuff. I use both traditional metal
smithing techniques and cruder body shop techniques to beat and shape
the metal into figures or really portions of figures.

I must admit, I have no time for commercial gallery showing or playing
the market with all the self promotion involved. Most of my shows are
invitational, and an occasional juried show.

Michael Rodemer and I have been entertaining the possibility of collaborating
on an environmental computer piece. Other than that, I've been swept away with
departmental chair responsibilities at Vincennes University. My latest work
has been 2-D works, combining computer images gathered from the net, printing
them on a laser printer and drawing over them with pastel. This is now leading
copyright questions, of which I know nothing about! I'll have to look on the
net to see if altering images after I downloaded them and using image
elements into my drawings violates copyright laws. I may need to get to the
library!

Can you tell me about your work? Are there other lists that deal with sculpture
more directly? You've probably seen me in my best and worst form on artcrit
already. I'm already subscribed on the Clayart digest.

My mainframe is usually down on Sunday am's; I'm surprised they have let me
on, so I better get off for now. Greetings and how do you do! -Andy

*** Original Note ***