Berkeley Architecture

I'll second the motion! Howard

- - The original note follows - -

From: jhoward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (James G Howard)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Berkeley Architecture
Date: 10 Nov 1993 07:57:49 GMT

First to establish my bias, I am a student at Berkeley, I am studying both
architecture and civil engineering. My grandfather, my father, two uncles,
an aunt, and three brothers before me also attended. One of my uncles left
with five related degrees and taught architecture here for eight years.
His firm of 22 architects and structural engineers is largely composed of
Cal alumni.

Instruction in architecture began at Berkeley in 1894 having been
inaugurated by Bernard Maybec. Cal's Landscape architecture and city and
regional planning programs began in 1913 and 1948 respectively. In 1959,
these three disciplines came together to form the College of Environmental
Design. The four year undergraduate program offers the Bachelor of Art
with a major in architecture-- standard preparation for a two year M. Arch
program at colleges everywhere. The college itself also offers a one, two
and three year program leading to the Master of Architecture based on
prior preparation. The PhD is also offered.

Yes, Cal is a big school, 31,000 grads and undergrads, but the College of
ED undergraduate population runs around 700. The faculty is outstanding,
the curriculum is broad and challenging. Both the undergraduate and
graduate programs have been unquestionably top tier in every publication I
have seen. The ED library, with 170,000 volumes, is one of the biggest of
its kind, and is only a fraction of Cal's 8 million. The campus and city
of Berkeley is awesome. The Bay Area itself is an excellent place to study
architecture. And finally, what ultimately will always set us apart, were
affordable. Now, yes, it is a fact that the public schools in California
are experiencing a little difficulty, but we will likely have a new
governor within a year, and I'm sure higher education will again be given
more attention.

I just thought I'd clear up a few things because I had seen a little bit
of discussion about the school and its place in architectural education.
Personally, I can't think of any place better to study the discipline.

--
James G. Howard
jhoward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx