Re: Architecture Schools

- - The original note follows - -

From: njl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Nolan Lew)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: Architecture Schools
Date: 11 Nov 1993 08:51:18 GMT

Well, I guess it is my turn.... I am presently an undergrad in the Arch.
School at Cal. How do I feel about this school?

Pros:
1. The price- You can't beat it, especially if you are a California resident.
2. The prestige- I *believe* we are either number two or three right now (and
sliding.....)
3. The faculty- Yeah, Berkeley has some great professors here. My professor
for my Arch. design studio was featured in this movie called
"The Five New Modernists" or something similar. Also, my TA
is a rather successful architect in San Francisco. Both
are Cal Graduates. Another professor is having a midcareer
retrospective at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. There
are several others but I am not exactly familiar with them.
4. The Shop- We supposedly have one of the best shops. We have machines that
do everything!

Cons:
1. The studios- The desks are shitty as hell! Most of the tops are chewed up
from years and years of abuse by exacto and mat knives. Also,
it is impossible to adjust them so one has to work on a flat
surface. This is especially horrible for one who is tall.
The chairs are so old that they cannot be adjusted either. I
have developed a hunchback from the desks and chairs.
2. Lack of drafting- They never really TEACH you how to draft. They don't go
into detail about drawing elevations, sections, etc. If
you don't know how to draft, you may have a hard time here
in the beginning. Afterall, they do teach theory!
3. Class size- The studio classes have gotten really large, from what I've heard
There are about twenty students per section in a class of eighty.
Sometimes I don't even get a chance to speak with my TA during
studio time. It also seems that they are getting bigger every
semester.
4. Louis Kahn and Le Corbusier- If you don't like these two, you won't like it
here! :)

There really isn't enough time to get into detail about Cal's program.
However, if you do have any questions, e-mail me and I will try to answer them.
If it's about the computer program here, I wouldn't be able to say much but I
can direct you to someone who knows more about it. Do I like it here? E-mail
mme and you'll find out! :)

njl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Afterall, I wouldn't slam the department that is providing me with my e-mail
account! :) )