ARCHITECTURE: Constant Temperature House.

- - The original note follows - -

From: amorton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: HELP?
Date: 12 Nov 93 22:07:25 CST

In article <CG6yDC.Hp3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, kipperman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
> In my travels I seem to recall coming across a house architecturally
> designed to maintain a constant temperature within. This was accomplished
> with architectural design only. I am begining the design of my own home
> and would like to find this info again. Can anyone help?
> Thanx in advance ------>Scott

Aviation god Burt Rutan co-designed (I can't remember the name of the
architect who helped him) a house in the Mojave that could reportedly undergo
interior temperature shifts of approx. 1.5F in a 24hr period where the
outside temperature would fluctuate 35F. This was accomplished through the
use of large thermal masses calculate for appropriate heat transfer lag time
(a berm surrounding the house which released the heat of day at night and
vice cersa) and use of materials to insulate against convection as well as
minimize radiation. Evaporative cooling was also employed. I think you
can look it up in Popular Science a few years back for starters...