ART: Academic Division of Subjects.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 19-NOV-1993
12:57:38.03
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: RE: craft vs. art

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 09:32:35 -0800
From: Raymond Lauzzana <lauzzana@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: craft vs. art
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

bk in ky raised an interesting issue the AND.

It iseems that during the 19th century. Universities/colleges of arts AND
sciences
were started. The result was that it divided the arts from the sciences with
departments for art and science. Indeed, they ended up formallizing the
division.

A similar thing happened in the 20th Century with the development of schools
of Arts AND Crafts. Once again, they established the divisions. Maybe what
we need are schools of ART and SPORTS, or ART and ECONOMICS, or ART and
BUSINESS.

Actually, there are some schools of Art and Business. I've never visited any
of them. The one's I know about are in Italy and Latin America. Does anyone
know anything about how they work?

Ray Lauzzana
Editor-in-Chief, Languages of Design
1167 Pacific