ARCHITECTURE: Wife Abuse Shelter

- - The original note follows - -

From: dunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Malcolm E Dunn)
Subject: Re: Designing a Wife Abuse Shelter
Date: 21 Nov 1993 15:21:50 GMT

In article <CGtqxp.7GA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> clousto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. (Kevin
Clouston) writes:

>Hi there
>
>I am an architecture student working on my thesis for my master's
>degree. For what ever reason I chose to design a Shelter for abused
>women. It seemed like a great idea at the time given the growing
>awareness and need for such a facility (I believe I am the first one at
>my university to select this topic as a thesis). However given the
>security requirement of such a facility I have run into a great deal of
>problem getting information on the topic. To make a long story short
>does anyone know of good sources of information that currently exist in
>any form (printed or whatever).
>
>Of particular concern right now is criteria for site selection for such
>a shelter. If you can offer any help or advise email me at
>clousto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>Thanks

I'm not speaking from a great deal of experience here but I believe
that due to the nature of the funding and the situation, shelters
tend to be places adapted for this use. I guess one way to think of
them is, as a 'safe house': a place to escape to, a sanctuary, a
home.

In the absence of documentation I think your first step is to go
and see some for yourself. Tread carefully, make arrangements with
the local authorities for your visits and interview whoever might
be agreeable.

Good luck.

Malcolm

--
Boilers, invented to keep things warm, freeze... This only happens in
winter. In summer, when it may be wet but warm, the heating is encouraged