Announcing Design Gopher Server

Announcing the DAEDALUS DESIGN Gopher Server
The DAEDALUS DESIGN Gopher Server is an experimental
Macintosh host node located at the Centre for Design at RMIT
(Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology), Melbourne, Australia.

Our aim is to provide both local and remote users with
interesting and valuable virtual document collections
that reflect the original nature of the research being
undertraken at the Centre for Design and in the design
community generally. While the work of the Centre is
multi-disciplinary in nature and encompasses all areas of
design, the Centre has developed a particular focus for
the emergent field of Environmental Design (EcoDesign).
We also hope to serve as a gateway to other design related
electronic resources available across the Internet.

WHAT IS GOPHER?
The Internet Gopher is a distributed document delivery
system. It allows a user to access various types of data residing
on multiple hosts (remote computers), in a seamless fashion.
This is accomplished by presenting the user with a hierarchical
arrangement of directories and files and by using a client-server
communications model. The Internet Gopher server accepts
simple queries, and responds by sending the client the requested
text document, sound or image file, or by performing a free-text
database search.

ACCESSING THE DESIGN GOPHER SERVER
There are a number of ways to access our Gopher. If you have access
to a Gopher Client on your personal computer all you have to do is
*point* to the address: daedalus.edc.rmit.edu.au at port 70.

If you don't have client software you will need to telnet to the address:
millbrook.lib.rmit.edu.au
Once connected, choose: /RMIT Libraries Information Service/Other RMIT
Gophers/DAEDALUS Design Gopher- RMIT.

If you have an account on a Unix server that has a Gopher client running
on it, it would be a simple matter of typing the following command at your
system promt (%): gopher daedalus.edc.rmit.edu.au

FEEDBACK
We would like this Gopher to be as responsive to the needs
of you - the users - as is possible. The quality of the system
depends in part upon the feedback that we get. So, if you:

* have any queries or comments about this server,
* have any electronic resources you would like this server
to "point" to,
* would like to participate in establishing an International
Design Resources Network,
* would like to learn more about gopher,

Please contact the Gopher Administrator:
Michael Abdilla
Centre for Design at RMIT
E-mail: abdilla@xxxxxxxxxxx
Telephone: +61 3 660 2237
Facsimile: +61 3 639 3412

I hope you will find our Gopher a valuable resource for your work.

Michael Abdilla - Information Services Manager
Centre for Design at RMIT
RMIT University
GPO Box 2476V
Melbourne | Ph: +61 3 6602237