ARCHITECTURE: Decon...

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 30-NOV-1993
20:06:22.74
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: RE: public artI

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 19:57:41 EST
From: GARY MESAGAIDO <g.mesaga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: public artI
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

ray - I'm not very informed on Hadid's work, my guess is that it is imflu. by
Corbusier, however, I did grow up with some of Johnsons work in Pittsburgh.
The construction of the PPG towers was truly a
step forward in the Arch. of Pgh. and I believed allowed for more postmod. Arch
to be excepted in the area. I disagree with the "postmod sleep" analogy. Could
you elaborate? I fully suport the deconstructivists ideas and the dismantling
of modernism. If you would like to see the practice in a simplified text see
Madan Sarup's book:an intro.guidee to poststucturalism and postmod. chapter2
Derrida & Deconstruction. But all that aside I see Johnson's approch as more
appropriative than deconstructive. Pastiche!! My question for you is do you
think deconstruction has a place in any art form? reply
Gary