GENERAL: Circulation and Multimedia Application.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Industrial Design Forum" 9-DEC-1993
09:06:12.05
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: Response from Pune University, India.

Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1993 09:04:00 EDT
From: GL250267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Response from Pune University, India.
Sender: Industrial Design Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Charles Burnette;

I read the information about the Transportation program
being implemented at the University of Arts. It was very encouraging
and inspiring to know about the use of simulations, 3D modeling,
animations and other multimedia tools.
The surprising fact is that I am also working on a similar
multimedia application about learning and testing of Traffic Rules.
This application is intended to be a replacement of the existing
conventional learning programs and tests undertaken for obtaining
license.
The present situation of traffic in India is chaotic due to
a large number of vehicles and inspite of increased rules and
police forces. The observations say that though most of the people
aquire sufficient driving skills, they are less sensitive towards
the disciplines. This ignorance is mainly because the existing media
used for conveying these rules are not very communicative; which
make the information static and uninteresting; though it's inherently
full of demonstrations, actions and signals.
The information about traffic is very visul by nature to which
the viewer is expected to respond with an action. To do this we used
an able medium like multimedia.
The scope for multimedia:
A skillful driver needs keen vision, sharp ears, dextrous hands to steer
the wheel and prsense of mind. The coordination of these factors is
essencial which is basically a collective response to multisensory
experiences in order to bring safety and reduce the accidents.
Live Traffic Rule Book on multimedia is a guided exploration
and learning of rules interspersed with appropriate animation seqences
graphics, audio, video and interaction. It is dynamic tool for tuning up
the learner and sharpening his senses and awareness with interest and
involvement.
Animations are used to exaggerate certain action, expressions and
sounds for emphsising the details. It also allows you to be interactive
and playful.
Graphics are used for showing the frozen moments which one might
skip when they are in motion.
Video gives the realistic insights because identifying the traffic
signs on the monitor is very simple and explicit, but recognise them
in true environment could be difficult, where there are going to be
buildings, hoardings, people and all other distractive things.
In the present version of this application there are two options.
1. Learn Index
2. Traffic Quiz
The awareness and the response of the candidate can be evluated with
perfection and even a grade card can be given.
This is a very simple kind of multimedia application. I wrote to you
because the subject sounded quite similar.
Looking forword to feedback

yours sincerely

Dinesh S. Katre
e-mail: Dinesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Centre for Development of Advanced Computing
Pune University Campus, Ganesh Khind,
Pune 411007, INDIA.